Roadside Architecture

Sunday, March 09, 2008

Day 11: Southern & Central TX

Be careful what you wish for! It was hot today -- in the 80s I think. Of course, we were skirting the Mexican border for most of the day so I guess that was part of it. I even turned the AC on in the van: something I really only do when the dogs start panting hard. Poor Grip still has a heavy winter coat on. They say it helps insulate but I have my doubts. She was much more uncomfortable than the other naked members of my family.

Vast distances covered today between stops. We've reached the sandy, dusty, dry part of the state that's for sure. Most small towns looked bad off economically. Downtowns just scraping by or totally deserted (however, it was Sunday so most things were closed I guess).

Here's a long-closed theatre in Harlingen:



***************************************

A neat Stremline Moderne building in Harlingen -- I have no idea what it housed originally:



***************************************

The remains of a sign in McAllen. I love the different shapes and colors of the lightbulbs. And the blue & white Streamline-y building against the much-appreciated blue & white sky.



****************************************************

There's also a Streamline-y J.C. Penney store in McAllen:



***************************************

I love the little perched windows on the side of that building:



***************************************

Another example of old-fashioned display windows in Alice:



**********************************************

Also in Alice, these street lights looked exceptionally old to me:





*********************************************************************
Bougainvillea, right?



***********************************************

Let's wrap up with three signs. This one stands on a vacant lot. The building next door sure doesn't look like it might've been a bus station:



***************************************

Certainly a sign of the times -- Lonnie's, having lost its neon, is surrounded by new development. I fear plans for a Sonic Drive-in or Burger King are already in the works.



***************************************

As I was pulling off the highway to settle in for the night in Devine, I saw this nice plastic sign:

4 Comments:

  • I'm running down there right now to apply for that Porter job.

    By Blogger Misa, at Mon Mar 10, 12:46:00 PM PDT  

  • Glad you are finding amusement here at my blog!

    By Blogger Debra Jane Seltzer (aka agilitynut), at Mon Mar 10, 07:54:00 PM PDT  

  • I believe that Trevino's Credit Furniture is in McAllen or in the surrounding towns. I'm Harlingen native and don't recognize it as a Harlingen building.

    However, that Grande Theatre always breaks my heart. The guy who owns it refuses to sell to anyone but a non-profit organization. And non-profits aren't known for having buckets of money they can spend on restoring an old theatre.

    Great photos ... saw 'em on flickr.

    By Blogger Mikey, at Tue Apr 29, 01:44:00 PM PDT  

  • Glad you are enjoying my photos. Sure enough -- Google confirms that Trevino's is in McAllen. Thanks for the correction. I'll have to fix it at Flickr -- and look at my notes to figure out how this happenend!

    By Blogger Debra Jane Seltzer (aka agilitynut), at Tue Apr 29, 11:50:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home