Roadside Architecture

Thursday, August 07, 2008

Day 8: More South Dakota

I think I'm nearly back on schedule after today's marathon. Managed to get pretty much across the entire state while indulging my inner child with a loop way up to the north (Aberdeen, etc.). I had always wanted to see Storybook Land and, there, now I have. There was supposed to be a Twistee Treat there as well but, according to the locals, it's been demolished.

I saw a heck of a lot of rolling fields, hay bales, cattle, lakes... a real test of stamina with lots of miles between destinations. Thank god for Sirius satellite radio and gas station coffee. And no speeding tickets (yet). I've been trying to keep it between 75 and 80 (posted speed limit is 70mph on I-90 and the highways). Gas lately has been going for $3.43 to $3.89. I know I've driven close to 4,000 miles so far since I had the oil changed back in Duluth. I'm a fanatic about changing the oil every 3,000 miles. The cost of gas is all going on the credit card so that should be a shocker bill to come home to.

The weather has been perfect for most of the trip (blue skies & puffy white clouds). But it's gotten hotter. After a few days with highs in the 80s, it's back around 90 now.

The poor deprived dogs got only a couple big runs today. They snooze really well when I'm on the Interstate -- waking up only to bark manic-ly when they hear motorcycles. The proximity to Sturgis, SD and the warm weather has brought out the bikers in far too great a quantity for my sanity's sake. But it helps keep me awake.

I got a lot of good stuff for the website and the agilitynut flickr photos but not much for here. I had so many last night that I'll try not to feel too guilty about it. And maybe I can get to bed before 2am tonight.

These figures in Elkton were created by Lyle Telcamp. There were lots more scattered around this field and more down the road. Fun stuff!

****************************************************

****************************************************



****************************************************

Here's something I've never seen or heard of before: McDonald's signs with sequins. This one was in town in Brookings. And there was another one on I=29 at the Watertown exit.



****************************************************

And lastly, this one's a bit blurry which downgrades it from the website to this blog. This sign was in Mitchell -- I love the shape of the boot and the way it's position on top of the sign.

6 Comments:

  • re: the mcdonald's sign, do you think the sequins are to save money on having a powered sign with neon?

    for some reason, it seems like i've seen signs like this in pictures of japan or hong kong.

    By Blogger Unknown, at Fri Aug 08, 12:05:00 AM PDT  

  • I have seen some sequin signs before for other businesses but they are very rare now. I wanta say they are 1980s but that's just a guess. They are very eye-catching especially in the sun. I think these were just used as more fancy billboards than cheap neon (money's not a problem for McD's). I don't know how "headquarters" would feel about these still being in use.

    By Blogger Debra Jane Seltzer (aka agilitynut), at Fri Aug 08, 04:51:00 AM PDT  

  • I am surprised you have gotten a speeding ticket in South Dakota. I didn't think they had laws there.

    With all of your highway driving, you can probably go at least 4,000 before an oil change. I don't know what kind of car you drive or what condition it's in, I imagine there are a lot of miles on it, but today's cars (and today's oils) can go 4-5,000 miles before an oil change. Some even more. The oil is not going to break down, so the concern is if it gets dirty, which can happen with city driving, lots of gravel/dirt roads, and older cars.

    By Blogger Unknown, at Fri Aug 08, 06:26:00 AM PDT  

  • Sequins, eh? They seem awfully Vegas-y for little old Minnesota. It's a great energy-saving idea, though (I know, grabbing at straws re: McDonalds and ANYthing eco-related, but we have to take what we can get, right?)

    By Blogger Misa, at Fri Aug 08, 08:10:00 AM PDT  

  • I think these sequins are much more about 1970s disco influence than saving energy/money on neon.

    By Blogger Debra Jane Seltzer (aka agilitynut), at Fri Aug 08, 10:29:00 PM PDT  

  • Josh: Yeah, I probably don't need to change the oil every 3,000 miles but I do anyway. I think it's good to have another set of eyes look Sparkle over for leaks, low fluids, tire imperfections, etc. When I'm this far from home, I don't want any time-consuming surprises and I'd rather err on the side of keeping the engine oil in pristine condition. I also do all the stuff they recommend every xx number of miles (flushing radiator, transmission stuff, whatever) even though I'm probably throwing a hunk of money away. P.S. I drive a 2003 Chevy Astro Van (with 184,000 miles right now).

    By Blogger Debra Jane Seltzer (aka agilitynut), at Fri Aug 08, 10:37:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home