Roadside Architecture

Monday, September 08, 2008

Day 40: Reno, NV to Ogden, UT

Somehow I think my numbering got off. I think this is really Day 39. Close enough! It feels more like Day 60 at this point. I'm eager to get home but there are still a lot of stops and maps to get through. It breaks up the tedium of the interstate anyway. Today was an excruciating example. I had done a thorough job of northern NV on the last trip so it left me pretty much driving from Reno to Salt Lake with nothing in between. Straight line, desert landscape -- pretty in a desolate sort of way. I found a park with grass in Battle Mountain for the dogs to run & sniff a bit. Otherwise, we were all pretty much prisoners.

After I finally got sick of the news babble about Sarah Palin, the Casey/Caley story, and Hurricane Ike, I switched over to music for the rest of the day. NPR did have some good stories though which helped with the boring drive -- including one about global "weirding". That's evidently a more accurate description of what we're in for rather than just "warming" (extremes of hot and cold, more hurricanes, tornados in cities where there haven't been so before, etc.).

We arrived in Utah around 5pm which only gave me enough time to grab the quick shots I needed in Salt Lake City and Ogden. Lost an hour's worth of shooting with a time change as well. Tomorrow, I'll finish up Utah and head on to Colorado. Running about a half day behind still and traffic didn't help. There was tons of road construction on I-80 which slowed things down to a crawl what seemed like every 10 miles. Then two big accidents near SLC -- one which closed I-80 just west of town, then another rubbernecker just north of town.

I stopped by Wells, NV to check on the status of this place which was damaged in a big earthquake back in February. Sure enough, it's still fenced off and has not been repaired:



************************************************************

This sign in Ogden appears to be a newbie -- still, they get an A for effort. The sign is lit at night as well:
http://flickr.com/photos/19505510@N00/2111795423/



************************************************************

I have never seen this kind of bird before. He was like a combination of crow and pheasant -- a very long tail and a confident big hop. I poked around a little on-line and I think he might be some kind of magpie. Does anyone know for sure?



************************************************************

As if that bird didn't give the dogs enough to bark at, there was one of those dreaded art projects in Ogden. Fixie, who usually is very reserved, went ballistic over this faux horse:



************************************************************

Even camouflaged, the troops went nuts over this one. So I guess it must be the shape without needing any details. Anything with four legs and a head/neck? Did the unusual-ness of this one's coloration make it more unnerving for them? I really can't say.



************************************************************

And lastly, I noticed this little place, Jack's Shoe Repair in Ogden, had moved to a location. It left behind these nice little details that will probably be gone soon.





6 Comments:

  • That bird is indeed a magpie, they're very common out west.

    If you're passing through Boulder again and need any info. on anything just let me know- colliebrains at juno dot com
    The weather should be much nicer for you this time around.

    Elayne

    By Blogger Elayne, at Tue Sep 09, 11:15:00 AM PDT  

  • Thanks for the confirmation! When I looked on-line, I couldn't find any that looked exactly like this. I guess there are a lot of varieties. I saw several more of them today in southern Utah that were this black & white type (with a very dark flourescent blue on the neck it seems). I really like their blue jay-like attitude.

    I won't be going through Boulder this time. I am already a day behind schedule and have a lot of Denver & north of Denver stuff that I didn't get to because of the snow on the last trip. I'll be rushing like mad tomorrow to see what I can get done. I need to be home on Sunday.

    By Blogger Debra Jane Seltzer (aka agilitynut), at Tue Sep 09, 05:54:00 PM PDT  

  • I'm probably too late but if you get a chance check out the Mattress King at Furniture Row. You can see it from I-25, north of Denver on the west side of the highway. I think the exit it 58th St. or maybe 54th. There's a castle-like facade on the old buidling and I did the structural design for it. It wasn't a very complicated thing or the type of thing you'd put on a resume but everytime I pass it on the highway it makes me smile.

    By Blogger Elayne, at Wed Sep 10, 09:31:00 AM PDT  

  • I think I might have seen it -- or maybe it was a different location. As I was taking I-70 tonight East towards I-25, I did see a modern flashy Mattress King. A sign and lighting on the building changing colors. Is that the one you are referring to -- or another one? I have limited stops in Denver tomorrow -- already a day behind & I'll probably give in to my inner child and do the Colorado Springs stops as well tomorrow. It will be a killer drive home though after that.

    By Blogger Debra Jane Seltzer (aka agilitynut), at Wed Sep 10, 08:06:00 PM PDT  

  • Probably not the same one, this one is on I-25 just north of I-70. Not a modern flashy building at all and you can't miss the 'castle/turret' facade. It's not worth seeking out but if you had happened to notice it as you were coming into town you could have pulled right off I-25 and gotten to it on the Frontage Rd (about a minute or two south of the exit).

    I'm sure you'll find plenty of good stuff in Colorado Springs and there's the world's largest rocking chair in Penrose but that's probably 1/2 hour or so out of the Springs. Looks like a rainy gloomy day though, stay safe driving.

    By Blogger Elayne, at Thu Sep 11, 09:12:00 AM PDT  

  • Guess I missed it then. I'd be curious to see it if you want to send a photo. Probably wouldn't include it at my website since it's too modern but ya never know.

    I have the Penrose chair here:
    http://www.agilitynut.com/mim/1.html

    I've been to CO Springs before -- about four years ago. So there are new things on my list and things that need to be reshot.

    Yes, it's been a pretty gloomy day but I got a lot done anyway. One more day in CO and then I need to skeedaddle towards home.

    By Blogger Debra Jane Seltzer (aka agilitynut), at Thu Sep 11, 06:30:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home