Roadside Architecture

Saturday, October 27, 2007

Day 14: Georgia

The sun finally came out which made things a lot more pleasant and productive. I had a long haul through back roads across the whole state of Georgia so am feeling pretty wiped out. Let me get these photos up this morning so I can get a little nap in before hitting the road again.

Let's start with a mid-century building from Abbeville: the Henry County Courthouse:



********************************************************

Abbeville's little downtown theatre, the "Archie", is unfortunately closed as are many other theatres that I've seen on this trip:



********************************************************

The facade is all that's left of the Walker Theatre in Fort Gaines. The box office looks out onto a vacant lot. The owners are working towards making it an "open air" theatre with only one third of the building having a roof.





********************************************************

The Blakely Theatre (in Blakely) is closed but undergoing renovation:
http://www.early.k12.ga.us/earlycounty/community_life.htm



********************************************************

Here are a couple signs that caught my eye. This giant boot sign in Albany is abandoned (the shoe repair is long gone):


********************************************************

Ashburn mixes humor and civic pride. In addition to its giant peanut on I-75, the town hosts this annual festival:




2 Comments:

  • Wow! So many theatres! I'm having trouble imagining such an open air theatre. Going to a movie is something to do when it's raining....love the little ant at the end, he's cute!

    By Blogger jennration, at Sat Oct 27, 05:00:00 AM PDT  

  • Yes, I'm having trouble figuring out what "open air" means, too. I'm thinking benches and the screen/performers under the roof. When I was a kid at Yosemite National Park they used to show old movies kinda like that. Log benches under the pines with the smell of campfires. Maybe a small town version? I've heard about the renovation of this place for years now and I don't see a lot of progress.

    By Blogger Debra Jane Seltzer (aka agilitynut), at Sat Oct 27, 05:08:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home