Roadside Architecture

Monday, October 22, 2007

Day 9: MS & LA

A busy day but not a lot of photos for you here. I went straight from dock diving near Jackson, MS to meeting Mr. Milks in Bossier City, LA. I pretty much yanked Warren and Dorothy Milks from their house to get some photos in the daylight with Warren and a Roto-Sphere in Shreveport (just a couple exits away).









*******************************************

Warren Milks, in case you don't know, invented these spinning neon signs. I have information and examples from around the country at my webpage:
http://www.agilitynut.com/sca/roto.html

Dorothy made us a little supper while Warren showed me a CD he had made from his old movie reels. It shows many of his signs including the Turn-Star, Roto-Ring, Roto-Sphere, the famous bowling pin Roto-Sphere, as well as a number of other big, impressive signs he created. Bossier City was a little Las Vegas during the 1950s/1960s and Warren made a lot of signs for the "honky tonks". I will get this CD up to YouTube when I get home so y'all can have a look.

I have one other sign for you from Jackson, MS that won't make the cut for my website but deserves a momentary pause here:



*******************************************

Today (I'm writing this blog the morning after), I'll be back on the road. I've got some stuff on my list for Shreveport & then it's down to Alexandria and other Louisiana things. There will be a bigger "misc." package here tonight.

4 Comments:

  • How cool to meet the guy behind the Roto-sphere! I can't wait to see the video! Drive safe.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Mon Oct 22, 04:19:00 PM PDT  

  • Yes, it was quite a treat. I keep telling him he has a "fan club" but I don't think he believes me. I'll get to work on the video when I get home in about a week.

    By Blogger Debra Jane Seltzer (aka agilitynut), at Mon Oct 22, 05:48:00 PM PDT  

  • Looking forward to the video :)

    By Blogger jennration, at Sat Oct 27, 05:05:00 AM PDT  

  • I checked out the CD a couple nights ago and the file is embedded in some Media Player thing which I can't seem to extract as a file. It's lovely to watch on my laptop... but I'd like to share it's crudeness with the world! When I get back to Brooklyn, I'll go to my geeky copy shop & see if they can figure it out. Also, it's 13mbs or whatever and YouTube only allows 10. I could edit the original somehow since some of the footage is redundant - but that would be sacrilege! Then I've got to find someway to announce it. Maybe I'll just throw a photo of something with a link at Flickr so folks will know where to find it.

    By Blogger Debra Jane Seltzer (aka agilitynut), at Sat Oct 27, 05:16:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home